Search

Looking for something?

Content

Friday, September 26, 2014

Letters to Our Children: September 2014

This is the ninth in a 12 month series of letters written to my children. I'm so excited (and honored) to be a part of this great project with a group of fellow photographers and moms. The next up in our circle is my friend Val. Click here to read her letter to her sons.


"If one does not lie back & sum up & say to the moment, this very moment, stay you are so fair, what will be one's gain, dying? No: stay, this moment. No one ever says that enough." From Virginia Woolf's diary December 31, 1932

"...photography, alone of the arts, seems perfected to serve the desire humans have for a moment--this very moment--to stay." Sam Abell, Stay This Moment 1990

Dear Saoirse, Rowan, Fiona, and Liam-

Sometimes friends of mine who are mothers and photographers talk about their kids not liking to be photographed. They talk about a conflict between motherhood and art, which can be a problem when your subjects are also your children. I've heard them say things like, "I don't want my children to remember me with a camera always in my hand." Although I know what they mean, I disagree. I'm okay with that. I think you'll remember that I very frequently had a camera in my hand, and if not, then a book. But maybe it will seem different to you. Maybe someday you will wonder why I didn't put down the camera. So if I don't get another chance to tell you why, this is why. There are so many moments with all of you that I just can't bear to let pass into oblivion without at least trying to hold them still. I want you to see all of this, and know in your heart of hearts that I just loved you so much that I wanted to save, and celebrate, as much as I could. It would make me happiest if you would understand this passion of mine the way I do...as love letters to you, and to this life of mine that you make so full.

Love always, Mama

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a bookworm, a sometime runner, a mom to four little ones, and a homemaker who hates to clean. (Whoops..) I spent years as a devoted journal keeper, and see photography as another way to document this life of ours. "I have only one life, and it is only so long. I choose to spend it with you."
Powered by Blogger.

Something