Search

Looking for something?

Content

Monday, December 22, 2014

Letters to Our Children: December 2014


This is the twelfth in a 12 month series of letters written to my children.

Dear Saoirse, Rowan, Fiona, and Liam,

A few weeks ago Saoirse told us all at dinner that they were talking about family traditions in her social studies class, as part of a unit on community. She told us about some of her friends traditions that they had shared, and then asked, "What are our traditions? I want us to have traditions." Although we named a few, she wasn't happy, insisting that they needed to be weekly for her taste. I guess we don't have a strong weekly tradition, and I'll try to work on that in the new year. But here, at the end of the year, we did follow one of the family traditions that I think is the best. We went to a hotel just to use the pool. Your dad is a huge fan of pools, hot tubs, and water slides. Indoor water parks are his idea of heaven. Since you guys seem to agree with him, we do this a few times a year. So, in the midst of the holiday craziness, we snuck away for a night, just the six of us, to spend 24 hours at a hotel. We swam for hours, Liam found a beach ball and threw it around, which is his favorite thing right now. Once you were done swimming, Daddy took you to play video games in the arcade. Then we ordered room service, including dessert, and ate in bed. Fiona refused the macaroni and cheese because it was "different," and you guys got melted chocolate ice cream on the white duvet cover. But it's a vacation, so who cares?! We finished off the night with a movie in bed, which this time was Home Alone. A Christmas classic now, which is weird because I totally remember it being new. It's such slapstick humor, you guys were crazy about it. The family seemed a lot meaner to each other than I remembered them, and I was really hoping you guys didn't get any ideas. But you laughed like maniacs, so it was worth it. I love this tradition. I love that it's ours. I hope you look back and have lots of memories of hotel pools, room service meals, and movies in bed.

Love Always, Mom

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a bookworm, a sometime runner, a mom to four little ones, and a homemaker who hates to clean. (Whoops..) I spent years as a devoted journal keeper, and see photography as another way to document this life of ours. "I have only one life, and it is only so long. I choose to spend it with you."
Powered by Blogger.

Something